photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

11.30.2012

Into Reflected Light >> I'll Stare

I recently came across the work of Canadian artist Lawren Harris, and thought it was very moving. One of his frequent subject matters is Lake Superior, one of my very favorite places on the planet, so of course I was particularly drawn to those pieces. I just loved the way that he captured the frozen, icy north, with geometric swaths of color that feel exactly like the 1920s, but perfectly contemporary at the same time.

For a girl who proclaims to mostly dislike the cold and snow, I sure do feel drawn to it (she says, from the comfort of her warm house with slippers on). I guess you can take the girl out of Minnesota...
Lake Superior, c.1926

Pic Island sketch, c.1924
Lake Superior Hill, c.1925
North Shore Lake Superior, c.1926

shanti >> sondra

images via

Get updates via: RSS * BLOGLOVIN' * FACEBOOK * TWITTER


1 comment:

  1. If you like Harris, I think you would love a Jasper artist named Leona Amann. Check her out: http://www.leonaamann.com/catalogue.html

    ReplyDelete