photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

4.22.2013

Earth Day >> Everyday

Happy Earth Day, everyone! As a child of the late 80s and early 90s, Earth Day has always had a special place in my heart. And now that I'm older, and actually enjoy the outdoors (I hated it as a kid...or at least I always said I did), it's become more important to me than ever to honor, appreciate, and take care of Mama Earth.

Here are a few small ways I try and be green >

buy in bulk// hitting up this bulk foods section at the grocery store is a great way to cut down on the packaging you use, not to mention the ink it takes to make packages, the glue needed to shut them, etc., etc. Plus it saves money! Bonus points for bringing re-usable containers each time you go.

say no to plastic bags// I almost always have a reusable bag with me, and if I don't, I'll try and carry what I bought. I've been using re-usable sandwich bags at home, and recently bought a bunch of glass tupperware for portable lunches and things. We use bio-degradable plastic bags to pick up after the dog (I can't recommend these ones highly enough). Check here for more tips on saying no to plastic bags!

recycle// Duh. But I can't believe how many people I still see throwing away cans and glass on the regular! DO. IT.

campsite rule// leave it better than you found it. When you are out on a walk and see a wrapper caught in a bush, pocket it until you get to a trash can. Last year, my grandparents were honored by their community for doing just this, every day, on their daily walks. They were even featured in the paper! I am so proud of them!

These things are small, but they add up, especially if we all pitch in.

Be sure to tell the planet you love her today. <3

shanti >> sondra

Get updates via: RSS >BLOGLOVIN' > FACEBOOK


5 comments:

  1. happy earth day! love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! How are you liking the market bag I made you? I just made one for myself and I love it! I want a whole collection now! I wonder if a shorter handle would be better? http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/2008/05/june-go-green-market-bag.html

    I can clearly remember how miserable and upset you'd get over camping when we were kids, kinda ironic now huh?

    Side note, the links look the same as all the text and I keep thinking you forgot them, when they're really there. Maybe underline the words you should click or something to make it more obvious? Or maybe I'm the only slow person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. abhaya_sondra4/24/13, 12:15 PM

    I used my bag just yesterday! I like the longer handles, it makes it easier to carry around and into the house.


    I think the link thing has to do with what browser you are using. In chrome they show up fine, in firefox not so much. I'm not sure why, I'll look into it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. abhaya_sondra4/24/13, 12:15 PM

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this post - you know how i feel about plastic bags! yuck yuck yuck. i agree and share in your sentiment, that if everyone did some things toward a cleaner, healthier environment we'd actually be able to make an impact.


    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete