photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

6.25.2013

In Season >> Watermelon, Nectarine, + Feta Salad


Time for What She Ate! This week's challenge: "In Season."
Hands down, this is the best and easiest time of year to eat in season (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere anyway). As opposed to my sometimes tepid feelings towards vegetables, I love fruit, and now is when all of the good fruit is ripe. I didn't even have to do much to put this recipe together, because most of the ingredients came from my CSA box this week before we went out of town, and the mint came from my very own plant that's going gangbusters outside of our front door.

This recipe is just a variation on one of my favorite combos - watermelon, feta, and mint, which sounds weird to the uninitiated, but is really a subtle play on the classic salty/sweet combo. I wanted to jazz it up a little further, and also use up a little more of the abundance of produce we have. Here's what I came up with >>

WATERMELON, NECTARINE, + FETA SALAD & GINGER LIME VINAIGRETTE
(one main serving or two sides)

THE SALAD //
3 c. cubed watermelon
2 nectarines, pitted and diced
3 tbsp. chopped red onion
1/4 c. crumbled feta
2 tbsp. minced fresh mint

THE VINAIGRETTE //
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. grated lime zest
1/8 tsp. dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1/8 c. E.V. olive oil

Combine the salad ingredients in one bowl, and in another bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients except the olive oil. Whisk the dressing ingredients while slowly adding the olive oil, or add it a little at a time. After it's fully combined, drizzle over the salad and toss gently. Voila! Summer in a bowl.

TIPS

// Don't make this ahead of time, you kinda have to eat it straight away. All of the juicy fruit combined with the salty cheese starts to make a liquidy pool in the bottom if you wait too long (although it will still taste delicious, it just won't be as pretty).

I know I've said this about every recipe I've posted, but this is SO GOOD. I suppose I only post the things that are delicious and save you from the duds (and believe me, there are duds) so that makes sense. I've inherited the "new recipe gene" from my grandma, whereby I just constantly make new recipes and have very few in my rotation. I guess I just love the adventure of seeing how something will turn out! Anyway, this one turned out great, so give it a go and let me know if you like it as much as I do.
Checkout  Stacy at Let it Unravel and Kate at Miner Temptations to see what they've come up with! On July 9th the challenge is "By the Campfire," which is beyond perfect, because I'll be in the midst of our three week camping trip by then. I'll be sharing something from the road! If you'd like to cook along with us, let any one of us know and we'll get you looped in. Also, you don't need to commit to doing all of them, it's cool if you just want to pop in for a post or two. ;)

I hope you're enjoying nature's bounty this summer!

shanti >> sondra

Get updates via // BLOGLOVIN' > FEEDLY > FACEBOOK > TWITTER

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer from Grits And Moxie6/25/13, 8:05 AM

    This looks like just what I've been craving since I can't seem to stop eating watermelon as of late. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! As per usual. I think the combo of salty feta and super sweet watermelon sounds wonderful...and I even have those ingredients on hand! I might actually TRY a new recipe!! Wheee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuuuum! We're still pretty new into the season for our CSA...still getting pea tendrils, lots of greens, and strawberries.

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete