photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

2.20.2014

The Big News!


{dramatic pause}

We're moving to Bellingham, Washington!

Okay, so I know I was slow to post it here, and a lot of you know by now. But there it is, the big news that we've been waiting for for 10 years (sorry to disappoint those that thought I was pregnant.) ;)

When Andy (my then boyfriend, now husband) told me more than 10 years ago that he wanted to go to graduate school with the eventual goal of teaching at the University level, I never thought the journey would be as long, complicated, frustrating, or uncontrollable as it was. Now that we're on the other side of it, I can also say it's been wonderful, amazing, humbling, eye-opening, and an adventure...but if we had known all those years ago what we were signing up for, I'm not sure we would have made the same choices. Nevertheless, life takes us all in crazy directions that we're not prepared for, so I'm so happy to be where we are today. After 5 years of grad school, a 3 year post-doc postition in California, and 2 years of a post-doc position here in Seattle, we are moving--finally and permanently!-- as Andy takes a tenure-track faculty position at Western Washington University!

In pursuit of his dream, we have sacrificed being able to start a family, buy a house, make a stable income, and I've had to quit jobs that I have loved. Of course, this is all on top of having to leave friends and family repeatedly and start over nearly completely in new cities 3 times in 5 years. But the end is in sight, and we are over-the-moon thrilled with where we are landing! Bellingham is a beautiful little city, about 90 miles north of Seattle and 20 miles south of the Canadian border, right on the coast of Puget Sound and in the shadow of the North Cascade mountains. Ever since moving to Seattle, we have felt at home in the Pacific Northwest, and now we never have to leave. The photo above is from our whale watching trip last fall, and while it's not quite of Bellingham it's very close to where we'll be, and looks just like this. Mt. Baker, which you can see in the background, looms over the area spreading it's mountain-y good vibes. :)

Thanks for sharing the exciting news with me!  

Get updates via // BLOGLOVIN' > FEEDLY > FACEBOOK > TWITTER

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! We have lived in Bellingham for a few years now, and it's the most incredible place. You will love living in this awesome community! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! We have lived in B'ham for a few years now, it really is the most incredible place. You will love being a part of this community. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. abhaya_sondra2/21/14, 3:49 PM

    Oh, yay! I'm so glad to hear such enthusiastic praise from a current resident. :) We are SO excited to come up there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca Murphy2/21/14, 4:45 PM

    Yay!!! I LOVE the PacNWest!! I can totally imagine you just snuggling in and making a wonderful home there! I'm so happy for you!! And for him too, what a hard path to follow, but good for both of you for making it come true!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh congratulations! I'm glad you get to settle down somewhere you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Sondra!

    ReplyDelete